Puebla - Tehuacán · Tehuacán Sites

Puebla Tehuacán

Welcome to Puebla Tehuacan @Wexico.com      English Español   Deutsch Deutsch
   

Tehuacán "Place of Gods"

Back

Tehuacán
Escudo de Tehuacán
Shield of Tehuacán
GeografiaGEOGRAPHIC LOCATION ...more-->

Location, Area, Climate, Flora, Fauna,
Hydrography, Physiography  

Economia ECONOMIC SITUATION ...more-->

Religion, People, Agriculture,
Livestock,Industries 

Video de TehuacánPromocional Video of Tehuacán

Tehuacán: The meaning of the name Tehuacan comes from the words: TEO = god; HUA = possessive; CAN = place; which means "Place of gods". The shield of Tehuacán is made up of four parts (more about the Shield).

Tehuacan was notable for being the site where the remains were found of the oldest domesticated corn in the world, (up to 5,000 years B.C.). In addition to the Town Hall, the Temple of Carmen and the Temple of San Francisco, the Museum of Minerals in Tehuacan has some of the most important mineralogical finds in Latin America. (more about the Museum of Minerals)

Museo del Valle
Archaeological findings show that Tehuacan was inhabited by communities up to 8500 years before Christ. It had a significant role in the process of domestication and cultivation of plants. The oldest fossilized maize in the world was found in Tehuacan. (Museum of the Valley Tehuacán)



In 1454 Moctezuma invaded and conquered Tehuacan as a strategic point for further conquest. The people took refuge on Cerro Colorado where they were finally defeated, and after the defeat of the Aztecs on August 13, 1521 the area was submitted to the Spaniards.

On March 16, 1660 the indigenous people bought from the Spanish crown, the title of "City of Indians" with the name of "New Lady of conception".

During the War of Independence Tehuacan was the headquarters of several warlords like José María Morelos, Nicolás Bravo, Manuel Mier y Teran, in addition to hosting the Congress of Anáhuac.

On August 31 1884, a decree was issued by The State Legislature, to honor the memory of Don John Chrysostom Bonilla and was appointed "Tehuacan of John Chrysostom Bonilla."

Today it is also known as the Tehuacan grenades and its springs as Tehuacan City of Health.

Home | Foto Gallery | Tehuacán | Puebla | Cacaxtla | Cuicatlán | Site Map | Search | Contact | Puerto Vallarta Blog